Blue Sky Organics is a certified organic olive farm with its own factory and olive press. This is the first organic olive farm in South Africa and the owner, Liz Eglington, was awarded ‘Women Farmer of the Year’ in 2005/2006.
During March to August visitors can watch olive harvesting and olive oil pressing. Year round tours and informative discussions can be arranged for the following:
• Processing olives, as well as olive and olive oil tasting;
• Products can be bought direct from the factory;
• They have olive trees for sale and herbs from the nursery;
• Kloof walks can be arranged;
• Labyrinth walks; and
A general farm tour and detailed explanations on organic farming, compost making, livestock integration into organic systems, organic vegetable growing, herbs, nursery and worm farming.
Blue Sky Organics also offer book courses and workshops on:
• Compost making;
• Organic pest management and control;
• All aspects of organic farming;
• Sustainable living practices;
• Worm farming;
• Organic vegetable growing and Value adding.
The self-catering cottage:
The cottage is fully furnished and has two bedrooms, a kitchen and a lounge/dining room. It has a large braai (barbeque) area with a breathtaking view over the valley and the Langeberg mountains. It is next to a kloof and mountain stream (not always running), but is fabulous for walking through. Walks can last for 15 minutes or for an entire day.
They have recorded up to 75 different species of birds on the farm and many other species of animals. Guests can also enjoy swimming in the farm dam.